Red Velvet Cookies – Galletas “terciopelo rojo”
The original recipe is from Sally’s baking obsession and you can find the recipe here. However, as I’m lactose intolerant, I wanted to try to change this recipe into a lactose free one. So here it is:
- 1 and 1/2 cups + 1 Tablespoon (198g) self raising flour
- 1/4 cup (21g) dark cocoa powder (without milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) olive oil (instead of butter)
- 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar (I used light muscovado sugar)
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature*
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) hazelnut milk
- 1.5 Tablespoons red food coloring
I mixed all the dry ingredients together. Then, I used a manual blender and beat the olive oil, the milk, and the egg to get a light mix. Then, I poured the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. I mixed them using a spoon and many hands to get a homogeneous mix. Then, I left it in the fridge until the following morning. In the original recipe, Sally mentioned that this step is mandatory but it’s ok with just one hour.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. As I used olive oil instead of butter, when I was making the small balls, I needed to dry the dough with more flour. Then I baked them for 10-12 minutes and you can see in the image that they looked very nice. The taste was not too sweet but not too bitter either. They were actually very nice.
I wasn’t very sure that olive oil would be a problem but not really. The taste was nice and you can taste more the hazelnut milk than the oil. I’ll definitely make them again!